This seems like the perfect time to visit with our friend Elder! During these seasonal transitions, it is so important to keep our immune systems functioning as well as we can. As busy as we all are it can be challenging to keep up a wellness routine….especially if you have young ones who are resistant to taking medicines! Well, these delicious easy to make lozenges may be the solution!
Elderberry Electuary Drops
- 1/2 cup local raw honey
- 2 tablespoons Elderberry Extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
* powdered sugar, cornstarch, or arrowroot powder for coating drops
- Mix honey, elderberry extract, and ginger together in a saucepan large enough for ingredients to boil and stir easily. Heat to boiling over medium-low heat, stirring often frequently so mixture doesn’t burn. You may notice foaming up the sides of pan, if so, take pan off heat briefly to allow foam to subside, then place pan back on heat to continue cooking. May have to turn heat down to low to prevent honey from burning.
- Heat mixture to 300-310F degrees, until it reaches the hard crack stage (if no thermometer, test the mixture by dropping some of it in a cold bowl of water and if it harden, it's ready). Remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple for minutes until thickens slightly.
- Pour mixture into small molds or drop by teaspoons onto parchment paper or a silicon mat. Allow to cool or refrigerate until drops are hard and firm.
- Once drops are fully cooled, dust with powdered sugar, cornstarch, or arrowroot powder to prevent drops from sticking together. Store in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Find out more about the properties of elder berry here: https://store.moonriseherbs.com/blogs/news/elderberries-herb-blurb
You can find dried elderberries and ground ginger here: https://store.moonriseherbs.com/collections/herbs-single-herbs
And pre-made Elderberry extract here: https://bit.ly/2NBHO0w